[GRASS5] Cannot run GRASS in CGI under nobody account

Ping Liu pingl at hawaii.edu
Mon Aug 12 00:14:19 EDT 2002

Good afternoon, everyone,

I'm trying to use CGI to dynamically post GIF maps processed by GRASS to
the webpage. I'm doing this in Linux using Perl and Shell programming
languages.

The basic idea is that in my CGI-Perl program, I try to start GRASS
(grass5) to create a GIF map, and then copy the map to Apache2 'icons'
directory. By doing this, it should be able to show the map online.

I can do this in my own Linux account. I can see this (in text in X
windows) by directly executing the CGI-Perl program.

However, I cannot see it by only using browser to trigger the program. I
was told that to test this, I need to use 'nobody' account. When I changed
to nobody account, I found the CGI-Perl program really doesnot work.

The error message I got is as follows.

bash$ grass5
/usr/local/grass5/etc/lock: //.gislock5: Permission denied
Unable to properly access //.gislock5
Please notify system personel.
bash$ exit

Could anybody help me for this problem? Thank you very much for your help
in advance.

Ping