[GRASS5] Re: IRIX Binaries

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Aug 22 08:41:24 EDT 2002

Hello Andreas
I noticed you'd done useful work on IRIX compliance before and wondered
where you'd got to :)

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Andreas Lange wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> there are some problems with the binary (which i installed and tried to
> test).
>
> It is o32 (old library format), so it is not very useful for anyone
> running IRIX 6.x.

I don't understand this; I compiled it on 6.2 and it runs fine on 6.4; I
thought all later versions were backward-compatible with o32 so I compiled
it like this for maximum portability.
I can create an n32 version as well if you think it would be useful.

> I think only a very small minority still uses IRIX 5.x, SGI dropped even
> support for 6.2 freeware.
> It is compiled for the mips-2 architecture, i think one should compile
> for mips-3 architecture, as the runtime of the modules will be less.

Did you notice a substantial performance decrease? I didn't think it was
slow at all and the runtime doesn't bother me; again, I was aiming for
maximum compatibilty.

> I am not able to start grass, as the keys <RET> and <ESC> do not work in
> the entry screen. I think the reason is that a wrong library is

I have always had this problem using the IRIX winterm but I didn't think
it was serious enough to investigate or report as a bug (I always run
GRASS from an xterm window).

> referenced (different versions of termcap/termlib and curses/ncurses on
> 5.x/6.x???). I tested on an Indy R5000 with IRIX 6.5 and most of the
> freeware installed.

Is there anything specific you think I could look for here? I sort of
assumed it was a winterm problem and put up with it (it works OK when I
telnet in also; only in winterm the <ESC> key doesn't work).

> I collected a lot information on compiling on IRIX here:
> http://mitglied.lycos.de/AndreasLange/grass/irix-grass.html
> (It is partly outdated and obsolete).

It was a very useful resource for me when compiling GRASS5.1; some
problems that have been fixed in the 5.0 code are still there in it
(mostly XDRIVER using sockets and NVIZ).

> I will assist in preparing the binary. But i have myself no c compiler
> installed currently.
> I think that the binary i tested should not be distributed to the
> mirrors to save bandwith.

It is very big isn't it? But, I mean, that is normal. I am confident in its
present form it would be useful to many people; otherwise I would not
have even considered submitting it.

We do have an Indy running 6.5 here but it is turned off at the minute and
doesn't have a mouse. I will get it going and give it a try on it.

But I don't see why you think it shouldn't be distributed. Everything is
there and works.

Paul