[GRASS5] Re: IRIX Binaries

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Aug 22 12:02:53 EDT 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Andreas Lange wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> thanks for the reply. You are correct, if i start grass from xterm it
> works.
> But i don't remember this problem from the distribution i created
> myself. I am not able to start grass with the bash shell, grass uses ksh

I believe I have found the problem; it is in src/libes/vask (VASKLIB). CVS
shows in May 2001 changes were made to the way it uses the curses library.
I got the older versions of the files from before then and compiled and it
works all right; I can press <Esc> and <Return> in winterm. Probably
somebody should put in a workaround for IRIX then but I don't understand
it enough at the minute.

> instead. I can not remember the status on the other machine.
>
> For the o32/n32 and mips-2/mips-3 discussion: I asked several people
> about the lowest common denominator for IRIX (two years ago) and it was
> consensus to use n32 and mips-3. I doubt that anyone uses IRIX 5.x and a
> machine with mips-2 architecture (i. e. R2000/R3000 processor!) for
> grass. n32 and mips-3 mean IRIX 6.2 and higher and any machine with
> R4x00 processor and up. mips-4 will exclude users of R4K and R5K
> processors, the 64-bit ABI does not really work with grass.
> Speed is important if you run interpolations on big raster data sets,
> but i never did any comparisons.

Well I haven't asked anybody so I will go along with what you have
discovered. I will learn from the mistakes and compile a new improved version
after 5.0.0 stable comes out. But I think the version available now is useful
enough to be kept available; only I suspect the disk space it uses on the
server is certainly not proportional to the demand for it!

Thank you very much for the feedback

Paul