[GRASS5] release branch testers wanted (tarball provided)

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Aug 27 11:31:03 EDT 2002

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > ln -s /usr/lib/libtk8.3.so /usr/lib/libtk.so.0
> >
> > und
> >
> > ln -s /usr/lib/libtcl8.3.so /usr/lib/libtcl.so.0
> >
> > started nviz normal.
>
> well, I feel that I should not hardcode the tcl/tk version
> numbers.

You don't really have much choice; while the Tcl-level functionality
(i.e. the Tcl language and the Tcl bindings for Tk) remains compatible
between versions, the C-level interface changes significantly between
minor versions; particularly for Tk, and even more so for any code
which creates its own Tk widgets (e.g. Togl, the Tk-OpenGL widget used
by NVIZ).

If a binary was compiled for Tcl/Tk 8.3, it will only run with Tcl/Tk
8.3 libraries. And, while Tcl/Tk's version scheme (including the
version in the base name rather than as a version, e.g. libtk.so.8.3)
isn't the one which most libraries use, my experience is that the
Tcl/Tk libraries tend to versioned in this way consistently across
various operating systems.