[GRASS5] Can't compile CVS version on solaris 8 - undefined symbols

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Thu Dec 19 22:50:44 EST 2002

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 11:54:05AM -0500, Scott W Mitchell wrote:
> Short version:  how come my grass 5.0.1-cvs compile on solaris can't
> find the socket functions ?  Is it related to warnings about wide
> character functions being redefined when compiling the grass libes ?
[snip]
> It then builds the libraries, apparently successfully, but with lots of
> warnings about the wide character functions (putwc, getwc, etc) being
> redefined.  Then when it gets to actual modules, a huge number of them
> don't get compiled, complaining about missing symbols.  All the ones
> that I've looked into are complaining about sockets (unix_socks)

Well, it's apparently a link error.  I vaguely recall some platform
needed -lsocket (for libsocket) as a linker argument.  You'll need
to find out what library provides the socket functions (apparently
the C library doesn't?).

--
"...the plural of anecdote is [not?] data."  - attrib. to George Stigler