[GRASS5] Problems with vector import, and a suggestion

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Thu Feb 7 13:54:39 EST 2002

On Feb 7, Glynn Clements wrote:
 > 3. The most recent version of XDRIVER can use a window supplied by the
 > application, rather than creating its own (via the XDRIVER_WINDOW
 > environment variable). This won't work for the libW11 port, but
 > Windows should really have a native driver anyway.

Glynn,

This is fabulous! I'm really glad you mentioned this.

I've been meaning to compose a message for some time concerning GRASS
and user-interface issues. I had been wrestling with the fact that I
very much like the modular structure in GRASS, but I was bothered by
the lack of functionality in the (intentionally) dumb monitors.

I have been wanting to be able to do things such as registering
geographic regions for context-sensitive popup menus. But I did not
want to extend the display protocol arbitrarily until it became as
sophisticated as, say, X, for example.

So, hopefully, I can simply use the XDRIVER_WINDOW feature to code up
the application I need. And if I'm careful, I'd like to have
something of fairly general use when I'm done, (eg. the first thing I
need is layer management, so I'll be starting with that).

-Carl