[GRASS5] Re: Named attribute support in GRASS

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 8 11:07:15 EST 2002

> Radim and me recently discussed this option as well. The sites
> format should be eliminated and functionality moved to vector
> points mostly stored in a DBMS table or simple DBF (which is already
> supported).

there is one more thing that needs to be taken care of before the old sites
are eliminated and that is import of data - importing vector data is often a pain
(although it should not be with vector points)
while import of sites data is fairly easy even if they come in a variety of formats

from GPS, LIDAR or various monitoring devices.

Most programs that support
sites should be easily modified or replaced by vector data support, there aren't
really too many site specific modules that would not have a vector equivalent.

Helena