[GRASS5] Re: v.in.shp on solaris2.7,5.0.0pre3

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Feb 8 14:39:28 EST 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 07:10:27PM +0000, David D Gray wrote:
> John Gillette wrote:
>
> > Good Morning,
> >
> > v.in.shp only works for me on the small test files located in
> > .../grass5.0.0pre3/src/mapdev/v.in.shp/test:
> >   circles.shp
> >   islets.shp
> >   simple.shp
> > On bigger files, it stops in the middle.
> >

> Currently v.in.shape is a memory hog, as it builds huge monolithic
> structures in memory. On some systems this may be critical, and it also
> depends on the resources available. Can you say - what happens in the
> middle of an import, when it stops?

Hi David,

do you foresee an update to the topology engine to work segmented (in
5.1)?
At time I have to process a 300000 lines SHAPE file, 1GB is far from
being sufficient for v.in.shape. I am asking you as we discussed the
memory problem some time ago.

I have successfully plugged in the SHAPE into 5.1, but v.build
eats all memory. Also 5.0 processing is impossible.

I volunteer for testing new versions :-)

 Markus