[GRASS5] Grass Projection Parameters

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Feb 17 14:29:33 EST 2002

Radim Blazek wrote:

> > > Just out of curiosity:
> > >
> > > What programming facilities are you using?
> > > Is there any schedule for the release of the source code?
> >
> > Hello Bernhard,
> >
> > We are developing the software using Apple's Project Builder in Cocoa
> > (objective-c based), as a commercial, closed-source project.
> >
> > At this time, while we do not have a schedule, we hope to start beta
> > testing within a months time.
> >
> > I personally have mixed feelings about the open-source versus closed
> > source issue. Although we will not contribute code to the Grass
> > community in this instance, we will continue (and hopefully increase)
> > monetary donations to the Grass project.
>
> What you are doing is exactly what is not allowed. I consider
> your work to be "work based on the Program"

I wouldn't consider a front-end to be a "work based on the program",
assuming that it is just spawning commands via system() or similar.
Nor, AFAICT from reading the GPL FAQ, does the FSF.

If a program which executes another is a derivative of that program,
then there are a lot of unlicensed derivatives around.