[GRASS5] Proprietory Frontend for Mac OS X

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Feb 22 11:26:22 EST 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 12:16:00PM -0500, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> I think that this statement just shows again that there is a
> misunderstanding of what free means for free software - free does
> not mean that you are not supposed to pay for it but that you have
> freedom to run, modifiy, etc.

This is a missunderstanding which can happen.

> and here I cannot help it-
> the word Open is just more accurate

There are also possible missunderstandings with the word open.
(Won't go into details here.)
These missunderstanding have more negativ weight.

> (no matter how much the free and open source guys do not like each other).

There may be heated debates about the terminology at time,
(the media likes to blow this up, too)
but we are working together for a common goal.

To give you an example: Last weekend I attended a free software
developers meeting in Brussels (www.fosdem.org). (Yes I did speak
about FreeGIS and GRASS there. :) )
Guido van Rossum (on the board of the Open Source Initiative)
was given the FSF Award for the Advancement of Free Software.