[GRASS5] Proprietory Frontend for Mac OS X (was: Grass Projection Parameters)

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Feb 22 21:54:34 EST 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 05:44:30PM -0800, Hal Mueller wrote:

> But maybe I can't get the performance I need out of a shell script.
> So I write a C program to do the same thing.  It's not as crystal
> clear as the previous example, but I think this is still a separate
> program (the GPL calls it "identifiable sections of that work are not
> derived from the Program, and can be reasonably considered
> independent and separate works in themselves").  Maybe it depends on
> how it's linked--or maybe not.

The linkage is key. Use system() or exec(), okay, use libraries, GPL
is violated.  When/if GRASS libraries get reorganized where there's
something akin to what's been termed libgrassio (which is intended
to be LGPL), it will be easier for commercial outfits to do basic
read/write of data to GRASS format w/o LICENSE worries.

> Finally, there's one more thing I hope folks will consider.  If the
> GRASS community gets a reputation for throwing up obstacles to new
> software, that can only hurt the future of GRASS and the open-source
> movement in general.  Of course, it will also put more money into
> ESRI's pockets.

No obstacles.  We just ask that others share their developments with
us (as we have done with them).  I get $0 dollars working on GRASS.
A large part of why I do it, is the for the challenge of solving
(or at least trying) to solve problems.  When others hide what they
do, I can't learn from it.  And that's no fun.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>