[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:2866] Re: newsgroup info.grass.programmer etc.?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jan 7 05:04:46 EST 2002

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 12:18:30PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 12:11:44AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > Dear grass users, what is this newsgroup I see,
> > "info.grass.programmer" etc. and is it really another way of reading
> > this list vial NNTP thus avoiding POP mailbox follies?

I don't know much about this newsgroup.
We should find out. Both newsgroups I can find at the server here
are marked as moderated:
	info.grass.user
	info.grass.programmer

> for month (years) the list is not feeded any more.

If we can get control over the newsgroups,
we should use them to externalise some of the traffic of the lists.
I am not sure that we should feed them directly from the lists.

> If someone
> can tell me how to arrange news feed from "grass5" to
> "info.grass.programmer", we'll add it. But I am not very
> familiar with the technical details for usenet.

There is a provision for feedling list to news in mailman.

> I even don't know who the owner of "info.grass.programmer", probably
> still CERL?

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)