[GRASS5] Release Suggestion - HOWTO-RELEASE

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Jan 21 09:46:03 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:30:41AM -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 11:29:05PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Markus raised the issue that it is about one working day for him
> > to release a grass version as tarball. This process has to be easier
> > for him. Thus the following was suggested by Bernhard:
> >
> > 	a) Markus will only release source tarball.
>
> Markus, etc,
>
> I can understand that producing a release can be a substantial amount of
> work for something as large and complicated as GRASS.  I just wanted to
> suggest one procedure that has helped me.  I now keep a HOWTO-RELEASE
> file in each of my projects which lists the set of things I must do each
> release.
>
> In theory this is mainly to make it easier for someone else to do a release
> if I should be hit by a truck or something.  However, I also find I can
> produce a source release substantially quicker with a detailed set of notes
> on what needs to be done.  It also makes sure all the "release specific"
> information gets updated properly.
>
> I have attached my HOWTO-RELEASE from PROJ.4 as an example.
>
> I think it would be helpful to have something similar for GRASS.

thanks a lot, Frank. I have seen recently that you added the file to the
PROJ.4 repository. Luckily I have already written such a file for GRASS:
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/grass/documents/release_rules.txt?rev=1.22.2

As it won't be perfect and partly confusing, I encourage all
to submit comments or fix it directly in CVS.

I'll browse your HOWTO and borrow further ideas,
thanks again,

 Markus