Programming language C vs c++ (was: [GRASS5] Want GNU libavl ?)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jan 22 06:28:52 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 12:11:23PM +0100, Andrea Aime wrote:

> For what concerns use of programming languages in general, I can
> report the experience I am having here in Italy. The most widely used
> PL here is Visual Basic, followed by Java for net oriented applications
> and C++ when you really need speed on a very complicated application
> (GIS is one example)... the common opinion here is that if you use C
> you're coming from the age of stone...

It still does not make it a good decision.
We should have the faith to follow our own thinking.

> Ok, stop complaining, it's just that when I'm speaking with
> GRASS hackers I have the feeling of living on a different planet ;-) ...

The link I gave you will show you that a lot of high profile
Free Software hacker are with us on skeptisism about the choices
academic or commercial chief of development make as you reported.
And they are the bunch that give proprietory software vendors
a run for their money... :)

> Anyway is not a problem for me to continue using C, but I agree with
> other posting here that the GRASS library needs a clean-up :-)

It certainly does.
It is happening slowly, because it is dirty hard work.
More hands welcome.

	Bernhard
--
Professional Service for Free Software                   (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)