[GRASS5] Some strange HTML online output

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jan 24 09:16:46 EST 2002

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > My suspicion is that the server has been configured to treat any
> > filename which contains[1] the string ".map" as a server-side image
> > map.
> >
> > [1] as opposed to ending in ".map".
>
> Thanks for the pointer. Looking into the config (not done by me) I
> found:
>
> grep map httpd.conf
> LoadModule imap_module        modules/mod_imap.so
> AddModule mod_imap.c
> Alias /tmp/  "/tmp/mapserver/"
> <Directory "/tmp/mapserver/">
> # AddHandler: allows you to map certain file extensions to "handlers",
> # If you wish to use server-parsed imagemap files, use
> AddHandler imap-file map
>
> So the latter is suspicious.

Yes, I've confirmed that as the cause.

> Next question is if I should
> switch that handler off as we have the GRASS "mirrors" map:
> http://grass.itc.it/index.html
>
> On the apache docs I read "This module provides for server-side imagemap
> processing."
>
> I assume that this has nothing to do with our map, right?

Right. That map is client-side.

> Switching "AddHandler imap-file map" off should be fine?

Yes. Assuming that you don't have any ".map" files, there isn't much
point in enabling it.

The same applies to any other AddHandler directives, although the only
ones enabled by default are "map" and "shtml", and I doubt that any
filenames will "accidently" contain ".shtml".