[GRASS5] Want GNU libavl ?

Bjorn Roald bjroald at online.no
Fri Jan 25 11:41:20 EST 2002

Friday, January 25, 2002 5:23 AM, Glynn Clements WROTE:

> As you can probably guess, I'm personally against any use of C++ in
> either libraries or programs; even to the extent that I would view
> re-writing libgdal in C as a worthwhile use of developer time.

Is this due to the binary compatibility problem with g++, or are there also
other issues?

What I am trying to get to is: If the binary compatibility problem has a
solution we can live with, is it then conceivable that you will change your
mind about accepting use of C++?

I generally agree that binary compatibility is a problem that need to be
addressed seriously, but I do not think this problem is general for the
language.  I have never heard of such a beast in the windows world, where
C++ infected DLLs float freely between compiler versions and vendors.  Even
name mangling is a manageable problem that can be standardized or automated
by compilers and loaders.  My guess is that this problem is in part due to
whinges in the header files of the standard libraries between versions of
libstdc++

Without a good solution to this I tend to agree with Glynn -- well rewriting
things may sound rather extreme.

Bjorn