[GRASS5] [bug #1170] (grass) m.in.e00 segmentation faults

Michel Wurtz mw at teledetection.fr
Wed Jul 3 04:14:32 EDT 2002

Request Tracker wrote:

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1170
>
> Subject: m.in.e00 segmentation faults
>
> Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
> grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> GRASS Version: 5.0pre4
>
> I've been trying to import some fairly large binary arc export files.
>  Files with only point coverages produced a segmentation fault with
> "action=all" (which is the default.) but succeeded with "action=vector."

Generaly, segmentation faults are the consequence of a bugged e00 file
(m.in.e00 is especialy confused with some bad info table description).
But some bugs have been corrected in the latest release (and in CVS).
If you compiled from source, you may get the latest version of m.in.e00
with the CVS Web Interface and try again.

> Using m.in.e00 to import a very large (300+ MB) file with polygon coverage
> produced a segmentation fault immediately after writing the last dig_cats
> file.  "action=analyse" revealed no problems.

Unfortunately, I don't have such big e00 file at hand.  If you know a site
where I can download one, send me the url (I have a fast internet connection).

>  With a smaller (70+ MB)
> file with a polygon coverage m.in.e00 created all of the dig_cats files
> but ran very slowly trying to import the vector map.  It ran for
> approximately 4 hours and was about 80% done before the OS killed the
> process.

Writing the dig_cat file (adding each entry) takes an exponential time
(I guess  that each time you add a new record, the library function
test it against any other previous entries).  This is done just after
creating them, so I suspect that is the reason why it takes so much
time... and never finished.  The only solution I'm thinking of is to
write directly the cat files, without the use of the grass library,
since there cannot be duplicate entries in e00.  I hope also that this
problem will be solved in the new vector format (Grass 5.1).

> Importing a point coverage produced a site file with locations and numeric
> codes identifying the sites, but brought in no other attribute values,
> which made the site files nearly useless.

Yes, but you may also have some dig_cats file for the other attributes,
as if you have imported a line file... (It's a "feature" that I want to
correct soon)

--
Michel WURTZ - DIG - Maison de la télédétection
               500, rue J.F. Breton