[GRASS5] vector cats files

Roger Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Fri Jul 12 18:44:59 EDT 2002

On Friday 12 July 2002 14:39, Eric G. Miller wrote:

> AFAIK, vector cats don't support ranges.  Range support is primarily for
> floating point rasters where exact quantities are possibly
> unrepresentable (fractions like .1).

Thanks Eric.  The programmer's manual says that vector cats files are
identical to raster cats files.  This looks like something that needs to be
revised.

> The easy way is to use symlinks to change the "active" category label.
> I don't recall whether v.support is necessary (I thought it wasn't)...
> We are just talking about the dig_cats file, and not the dig_att?

We were talking about dig_cats files.  I tested and found that it wasn't
necessary to run v.support after changing the dig_cats file.  Good thing, as
once I did get one of the larger files imported it took about 20 minutes to
run it through v.support just once.

I have revised m.in.e00 so that it can be used to import larger e00 files.
Once I'm convinced that I'm done I'll commit the changes.  If anyone really
needs a version now that will read big e00 files (50,000+ polygons with 340+
attribute items each) let me know.

Roger Miller