[GRASS5] -q flag for r.cats and other commands

John A. Preston jpreston at uwimona.edu.jm
Wed Jul 17 17:08:53 EDT 2002

Hi,
I'm using grass via some java servlets and recently found out that
any G_percent() messages and others are sent to the stderr
(thanks to Glyn Clements).

While I have been able to program around this,
It makes my use of stderr a bit messy. I trap
all stderr messages and display them in a error log
(in RED). However now I have to modify this, and
try and determine which of them is a activity message
and which is a real GRASS command error or warning message.

Has there been any discussion on a standard syntax
for error and warning message (prefixed with ERROR
or WARNING, maybe) or on this whole topic.

I would love to have the -q flag on all commands
but I don't know how much support there is for
that.

John Preston