[GRASS5] [building questions]

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Jun 17 19:12:41 EDT 2002

Carl Worth wrote:

>  > > Ok - so what do you think about releasing several sets
>  > > of grass binaries - with different libraries compiled in?
>  >
>  > Mostly, there isn't any real need. We supply everything, and the user
>  > gets to use anything for which they have the necessary libraries.
>
> I agree that that's the right model.
>
> One current frustration is that most optional functionality defaults
> to being included in the configure script.

This was done intentionally.

The configure script used to generate warnings about the absence of
optional libraries. However, users didn't notice the warnings, then
filed "bug" reports about the corresponding modules not being built.

So, it was decided (not by me) that failure to detect an optional
library would result in a fatal error unless that functionality was
explicitly disabled.