[GRASS5] configure question: GD lib versions

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Mar 4 17:38:53 EST 2002

Folks,

on my machine are both GD1.8 and 2.x present. For compatibility
reasons the 1.8 version must stay, it is in /usr/lib/
The libgd.so.2 is in /usr/local/lib (both the gd.h accordingly).

Now the question: How can I convince configure/PNGdriver to pick up
the libgd.so.2? Of course I tried the related parameter, but probably
due to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH order the PNG driver (ldd tested) finally
takes the gd1.8.

I solved it by hacking libgd.so.2 directly into the head.i686* file,
but that's not really the best. On the other hand I could not
directly specify the libgd.so.2 as configure parameter (probably
autoconf doesn't allow for this as only directories are allowed here).

Maybe I am overseeing a trick to specify libgd.so.2 to avoid manual
editing the head file? Or is my problem just too specific?

Thanks,

 Markus