[GRASS5] maps with identical name in different mapsets

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Mar 13 05:20:57 EST 2002

Hi,

today we discovered that it is possible to generate a map (raster
map) with r.proj under a certain name even if this name is already
in use in another mapset. There is no test telling that the
map name is used.

I see a potential problem here: Which map is taken when displaying
it or doing calculations? First in the current mapset, then from
another (and which order, alphabetically?).

Eventually we should add a test to a GRASS library function to
check for existing names in current mapset search path to avoid
this problem. It is at least implemented in g.copy:
src/general/manage/cmd/copy.c

Maybe I am missing something, but we cannot be sure which map
is picked up when a map name exists several times (at least it
is not obvious to the user).

Markus