[GRASS5] The status of 5.0

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Mar 21 11:40:40 EST 2002

Michel Wurtz wrote:

> Roger Miller wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > 5. v.out.shape exported only closed polygons.  I found no way around that
> > behavior.  Is that inherent in shape files?
>
> Did you try v.out.e00 (and then Import71, the free ESRI translator
> from e00 to coverage, so Arcview can read the data) ? It should work
> for closed polygons _and_ any kind of line...
>
> But I agree with Helena : vector in Grass4.0 and 5.0 are not very usefull,
> mainly because the attribute sheme is very cheap...  You cannot really have
> a vector GIS without an associated database (or at least a kind of).
>
> BTW, the site management is also ugly : the grass inner format is ascii and
> there is a lot of pretty complicated functions to do apparently nothing else
> than moving strings from one ascii file to another.  Here also, a database
> seems to be a better solution (more attribute's types, direct binary storage,
> use of attributes values to parametrize symbols, etc...).  To do in 5.1 ?

As far as I remember there is a consensus to handle sites within a GRASS5.1
vector format, which should handle all that you are mentioning here. So I would
just encourage
everybody to get grass5.1 to get some feel for it and maybe it would be good
time
to start moving all GRASS to GRASS5.1 - as I understand it a reorganization
of the code is planned so I assume that it would be a substantial effort.
Given my previous experiences with moving sites to vectors the ascii site format
will be
around for a while, but the development should really focus on GRASS5.1
concepts.

Helena