[GRASS5] Release branch is dead!

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Mar 22 09:18:16 EST 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:42:25PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 12:36:06PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > In taking the next step of GRASS5 development,
> > the old release branch has stopped to be a line of development.
> >
> > Right now it is possible to commit code which does more than just
> > fixing bugs to the main trunk of the GRASS5 CVS tree.
> > If you want these enhancement or fixes in the GRASS5 stable to
> > release, put them in. If your faviourite module is buggy fix it.
> >
> > Otherwise there will be a new release branch targeted in
> > roughly one month. This release branch will be taken more serious
> > as the candidate for a stable release. You _cannot_ fix any bugs
> > except release critical ones anymore on that new release branch once
> > we have it.
> >
> > To repeat it: Use the trunk now to develop, only release critical bugs
> > can be fixed on the new release branch once we have it!
> >

> ... o.k. As a follow up I have to modify the web pages and the
> auto-download scripts for the CVS snaphots, right?

Naturally.  People have to be informed.

As important as to draw many people into using and helping GRASS
development is to make sure that what version or level you should
try when you are a user.

So we should not recommend CVS versions to everybody by default.
We need to warn users that some version are for the more
adventurous, people who want to help us to find bugs or even
developers or hard core developers.

This will help us to structure development and releases better.

> Should we keep the latest CVS release branch snapshots?

We can keep some.

--
Professional Service for Free Software                 (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                       (freegis.org)