[GRASS5] [bug #979] (grass) NVIZ Load / Save 3-D Settings doesn't work

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Mon Mar 25 09:21:33 EST 2002

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=979

Subject: NVIZ Load / Save 3-D Settings doesn't work

Platform: SGI/Irix
grass downloaded at: CVS Server, Germany
grass binary for platform: I compiled the sources myself
grass sources source: GRASS 5.0.0pre3

Load / Save 3-D Settings option in File menu in NVIZ is disabled (and doesn't work).
It is mentioned in the tcl/tk source file that these options are disabled because they are buggy; I tried enabling them just to try but loading a 3d view has no effect on the position settings in NVIZ.
NVIZ is of no use for my work without accurate observer position settings (easting, northing, elevation, field of view etc.) and I am currently using SG3d and GRASS 4.3 with reasonably successful results (SG3d can read the 3dview files created either manually or with d.3d, which enable a lot of control over the exact observer position).
However I would very much like to make use of the 3-D vectors in GRASS 5.1; for this I need NVIZ and also the missing advanced positioning functionality.

Perhaps in a year or so's time I may be in a position to fix the problem myself, but at the minute I would be out of my depth: beyond the tcl/tk functions, there are several layers of nested function calls back through the gsurf library to the low-level G_get_3dview and G_save_3dview that SG3d and d.3d use.

I am quite surprised that such an obvious piece of functionality is still missing, but perhaps exact positioning is not important for geographical applications? (I am approaching this from an engineering background). I hope anyway that submitting this to the bugtracker will bring it more to the forefront of attention of the relevant person.

Paul Kelly