[GRASS5] The status of 5.0

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Mar 26 06:20:50 EST 2002

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 12:02:40PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 11:29:08AM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> [...]
> > It is never a good idea to release really bad untested software,
> > but all software will have bugs. The truth is somewhere in between.
>
> Luckily GRASS 5 is quite tested - at least what a few people
> can test within 3 month. Now it is time to get more users on
> that.

That is exactly the plan.
Schedule something like:

GRASS 5.0.0 developmemt time:		now

	All developers have time to fix and bring in (moderate) additions
	for the grass5.0.0 release now.

Code Freeze and Branching for Release:			about 22th of April
	We will create a release branch.
	We will release grass5.0.0pre4 shortly after alpha tests.
	This will be beta tested.
	Only release critical bugs will be fixed on that release branch.

Release:						about 22th of Mai

	After another month we will release grass5.0.0 from the branch,
	or release pre5 or merge back without release as a last resort.

We can't get faster than this with a project as huge as GRASS.
This is the tightest reasonable schedule I can imagine.

After this repeat schedule for GRASS 5.0.1.
Note that _major_ enchancement should go into grass5.1
or be publised as extra additional patches or tarball releases
if testing is needed. These extra file should always be based
on the last tarball release (currently pre3).

	Bernhard