[GRASS5] Re: [GRASS-CVS] CVS update: grass/src/mapdev/v.llabel

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu May 9 09:53:46 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 05:02:48AM -0600, Roger Miller wrote:
> On Thursday 09 May 2002 01:11, Radim wrote:

> > Sorry Roger, I don't want to discourage you, to contribute to grass,
> > but module should be probably run, before changes are commited,
>
> I thought I made it clear to the list that I was currently unable to test the
> change, but I was encouraged to commit the change anyway.  After all, the
> code was broken to start with and committing still broken code didn't make
> anything worse and had a chance of helping.

Yes, this was okay.
Radim: I told Roger to commit this as the code was broken anyway.
Thus I'm the one to critise here, because Roger asked first.
I still think it was correct, as it was the only chance for Roger to
help us. He just should have committed the same fix to HEAD.

> > and that all fixes in release branch MUST be commited to HEAD, is
> > obvious (I hope, am I right?

Yes, you are right.

> I committed it to the release branch because discussion on this list lead me
> to believe the release branch would be merged back into HEAD after the
> release was made.  If we can work only on release-critical bugs and we have
> to commit to both branches then the release branch would seem to be
> superfluous.

Making sure that each change is made in the release branch
and in HEAD, is like merging each change in a way.

We need the release branch, because HEAD is more advanced.
So the fix for the Release branch might not be the same for the HEAD branch.
You can work on other bugs and smaller enhancement on HEAD.