[GRASS5] i18n for tcltkgrass

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri May 17 11:13:46 EDT 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 02:09:16PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Alex Shevlakov wrote:
>
> > I'd like to attempt making permanent changes to tcltk scripts
> > (especially, tcltkgrass) code in order to internationalize them. As
> > much as I know, there is a Tcl built-in 'msgcat' command allowing to
> > internationalize messages.
>
> AFAICT, the msgcat package was added in Tcl 8.1; versions prior to
> that won't have it.

Alex: What other possible drawbacks of your solution can you think of?

> Personally, I don't think that it's reasonable to require 8.1+ in
> order to use tcltkgrass. Instead, any changes should be made in such a
> way that tcltkgrass continues to work with older versions of Tcl
> (albeit without I18N).

I agree.
Somehow we must make sure that GRASS still works with older tcltk version.
This does not mean we do not want internationalisation,
we just have to find a way to implement it.

Without knowing much about it:
	Could a preprocessing step be used to prepare the
	tcltk script for the different tcltk version?
	Thus it might just remove the internatiolisation code
	for people not wanting out or not having the modern tcltk version.