[GRASS5] Re: [bug #1052] (grass) [rsv].proj are crashing

Morten Hulden morten at ngb.se
Thu May 23 06:52:12 EDT 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Markus Neteler wrote:

> the "ellips=name" is not put into the structure "in_proj_keys".
> Looking into the Changelog, I found:
>         * get_proj.c: dont pass through ellps= if we have defining
>         parameters
>
> The former version of PROJ4 in GRASS was able to deal with this case,
> I recall that the change done by Frank was required to work around
> problems with r.in.gdal.

The way grass used to co-operate with proj was that grass _never_ passed
the ellipsoid name to proj, but always uses the a and e2 values instead. a
and e2 were taken from the PROJ_INFO file, or (in the case of m.proj)
looked up from grass' ellipsoid table. The ellipsoid name in PROJ_INFO was
only there for display, but is never really used, unless someone added or
changed a module to pass the name to proj.

If proj itself would have have changed so +ellps= is a required argument,
no projection routine in grass would work. I guess this is unlikely.

Morten Hulden