[GRASS5] problems compiling pre4 on SuSE 8.0

Wolfgang Lueck wolfluck at mweb.co.za
Wed May 29 17:16:17 EDT 2002

Hi

I have recently got a new machine and made the foolish decision to
install SuSE 8.0 on it instead of Red Hat or Mandrake that I am used to.

While trying to install Grass pre 4 I encountered the following errors:
During compiling the old postgres includes and libs story came up again,
so I set links with ln for the files postgres.h and postgres_fe.h to the
folder /usr/include/pgsql and defined the includes properly
./configure --with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/pgsql

Well this is the error message that I got and can't explain:

checking whether to use PostgreSQL... yes
checking for location of PostgreSQL includes... /usr/include/pgsql
checking for libpq-fe.h... yes
checking for postgres.h... no
checking for postgres_fe.h... no
configure: error: *** Unable to locate PostgreSQL includes.

When configuring without postgres I got problems with openGL
configure could locate gl.h but not glu.h because such a file does not
exist on my system, although openGL is installed. I speculated that
glu.h might infact be glut.h and toock the chance to set a link.

Except for Postgress configure and make now runs without problems.
Make install however gives the following error message:

test -d /usr/src/grass/grass5.0.0pre4/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/locale &&
/bin/sh -c "cd /usr/src/grass/grass5.0.0pre4/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu ;
tar cBf - locale | (cd /usr/local/grass5 ; tar xBf - ) 2>/dev/null ;
true"
make[1]: *** [real-install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/grass/grass5.0.0pre4'
make: *** [install] Error 2

I then compiled Grass pre3 without problems (except for Postges)

When running NVIZ the following error message pops up:

/usr/local/grass5/tcltkgrass/main/pause: nviz: command not found

Finished - press RETURN or ENTER to continue

Can anyone help me out on this one please I urgently need to use R and
PostgeSQL in conjunction with GRASS for my work.

Kind regards

Wolfgang Lueck