[GRASS5] Re: GRASS 5.1 build system

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Fri Nov 8 13:16:18 EST 2002

On Glynn Clements wrote:

> OK. For future development, there are three main options:
>
> 1. Work with the Makefiles which are already there.
> 2. Port the alternate build mechanism (the one in "mk") from 5.0.
> 3. Write a conventional build mechanism which supports out-of-place
>    builds.

> Option 3 is "the right thing", but it's also the most work.

Considering also your explanation in another mail, I think that it
is "the right time" to do that now.

> 2. Having configure generate lots of Makefiles via AC_OUTPUT is
> potentially slow. As the actual Makefiles only need two specific
> substitutions (to insert the source and build directories), it may be
> better to perform this part with a dedicated script similar to the
> existing mk/mkmakefiles. OTOH, Mozilla doesn't feel the need to do
> this (it just passes ~1000 filenames to AC_OUTPUT).

So we can do the same.

How to proceed now? If others agree with 3., we need somebody who can write
new build system, example Makefile.in files and some instructions how to write
Makefile.in rules. I would welcome examples especially for:
lib/db/sqlp/
lib/vector/diglib/
display/d.m/
visualization/nviz/*
/vector/v.ascii/
+ common directory, library and module

Then I can help to rewrite all other Makefiles.

Radim