[GRASS5] CVS version of grass5 failing to compile nviz & r.in.gdal because of -ldl flag

Scott W Mitchell smitch at eos.geog.utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 19 12:12:58 EST 2002

I'm sorry, I didn't search for all the possibilities when I concluded
that libdl was not on my system.  Turns out there's a libdl.0.dylib in
/sw/lib, which is where the fink packaging system puts things under Mac
OS.  Not sure how I managed to miss that, must have been dumb mistake.

Sure enough, configure found it:

configure:4491: checking for dlsym in -ldl
configure:4508: gcc -o conftest -g -O2    -I/sw/include   -L/sw/lib
conftest.c -
ldl   1>&5
configure:4535: checking for iconv

So, then the question is why the nviz compile can't find it:

/Volumes/newData/smitchHome/src/grass/src.contrib/GMSL/NVIZ2.2/src
   make -f OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/make.rules

gcc
-L/Volumes/newData/smitchHome/src/grass/src/libes/LIB.powerpc-apple-
darwin6.1 -L/sw/lib -o nvwish OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/nvizAppInit.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/change_view.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/draw.o OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/exag.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/glwrappers.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/init_commands.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/lights.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/map_obj.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/misc.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/nviz_init.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/position.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/quick_draw.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/anim_support.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/cutplane_obj.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/script_support.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/do_zoom.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/label.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/nvizMain.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/togl.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/togl_cb.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/query_postgr.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/openvect.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/getCat.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/buildInfxQry.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/runInfxQry.o
/Volumes/newData/smitchHome/src/grass/src/libes/ogsf/LIB.powerpc-apple-
darwin6.1/libgsf.a
/Volumes/newData/smitchHome/src/grass/src/libes/libimage/LIB.powerpc-
apple-darwin6.1/libimage.a \
-lbitmap -llinkm -lvect -ldig2 \
-lgis  -lz   \
-ldatetime   -ltk   -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lSM -lICE -lX11   -ltcl
-L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lGLU  -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lGL   -lSM -lICE -lX11
-lXmu -lXext  -ldl -lz    -L/usr/X11R6/lib    -ltiff  -lSM -lICE -lX11
ld: can't locate file for: -ldl
make[1]: *** [nvwish] Error 1
make: *** [nvwish] Error 2

I guess it has to do with Darwin peculiarities re: shared libs, but we
just hit the walls of my understanding again.  I don't see anything
that explains it to me at
http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/porting/shared.php

I THOUGHT it might be to do with the problem reported at:
http://www.opendarwin.org/en/faq.php#linksym

because that says all the -L and -l statements need to be listed AFTER
the object files, and that isn't the case in the failed compile above.
But typing it in all manually at the command prompt so that the -L's
and -l's come last did not change / get rid of the ld error for me.

Well, for now my workaround is to not include $DLLIB in the NVIZ
compile, and I'll leave it at that for now, but can help track this
down over time if needed.

Thanks,

Scott