[GRASS5] CVS version of grass5 failing to compile nviz & r.in.gdal because of -ldl flag

Scott W Mitchell smitch at eos.geog.utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 19 13:42:56 EST 2002

OK, sorry to be answering my own post for the second time, but I found
the answer, so here it is to make sure it's in the archives for the
next person... at least I learned and hopefully nobody else (i.e. Glynn
- thanks for all the help !) will expend effort on this before seeing
that I have an answer.

Took a break and with a fresh mind, finally paid attention to the fact
that I only had the .dylib version of libdl, and investigated that
further.  Turned out that at some point the fink dlcompat package got
broken into 3 sub-packages, and I didn't have the -dev package that is
needed to install the .a version of the library, AND it installs a
"versionless" softlink to libdl.0.dylib, taking care of the version
number that I worked around in my previous post.

So the answer is that Mac OS X users will need the dlcompat-dev package
installed if they are using fink - there are also other ways to install
the dlcompat package, but no matter how they do it, they need those
bits - you want all three libdl files available:

[fats:GMSL/NVIZ2.2/src] smitch% fink list apropos dlcompat
Information about 1752 packages read in 3 seconds.

  i   dlcompat         20021117-1   Dynamic loading compatibility library
  i   dlcompat-dev     20021117-1   headers and static libraries for
dlcompat
  i   dlcompat-shlibs  20021117-1   shared libraries for dlcompat
[fats:GMSL/NVIZ2.2/src] smitch% ls -l /sw/lib/libdl*
-rw-r--r--  1 root    unknown  20852 Nov 18 11:28 /sw/lib/libdl.0.dylib
-rw-r--r--  1 root    unknown  15964 Nov 18 11:28 /sw/lib/libdl.a
lrwxr-xr-x  1 smitch  unknown     13 Nov 19 13:28 /sw/lib/libdl.dylib
-> libdl.0.dylib

On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, at 12:23 PM, Scott W Mitchell wrote:

> A slight update, since it looks like it may explain what's happening;
> a random brain electron just fired, and I tried changing -ldl to
> -ldl.0 (i.e. added a "zero" version number since I have
> /sw/lib/libdl.0.dylib in my system) in a call to gcc, and it compiled
> the output file despite some TclTk symbol warnings.  So I'm not sure
> what this means in terms of a portable solution as opposed to Darwin
> weirdness, but it gets around the error without taking away the DLLIB
> definition...

[trim]

>> On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 11:53 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:
>>

>>> Scott W Mitchell wrote:

[trimmed]

> [...]

[trimmed]