[GRASS5] GRASS 5 and ANSI C

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Oct 3 11:49:12 EDT 2002

Hi developers,

Prof Giulio Antoniol (who published the clone detection for GRASS:
http://mpa.itc.it/markus/grass_clones/index.html
) is also interested to perform some profiling analysis on the GRASS code.
This helps to find out where/if time is spent/wasted in loops etc. E.g. the
'gprof' tool calculates the amount of time spent in each routine.

Later we'll probably add some code (locally at IRST) to our GRASS version
and check for several days/weeks, which functions are used and how time
consuming they are (to find potential areas for code improvement).

But: For the analysis the GRASS code must be ANSI C. It seems that
there is still some K&R code existing....
Since Giulio Antoniol is busy at time he asked me to 'stimulate' some
code conversion :-)

As I am not too confident with that, I would like to ask
 - how we can identify K&R C coding style (any gcc tricks?)
 - how we can (partially automated) update to ANSI C (ok, newbie question)?

Thanks,

 Markus