[GRASS5] End-of-compilation message

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Oct 7 16:12:17 EDT 2002

GRASS GIS source code compiled successfully.

* Check file error.log for modules not been compiled due to error.

* Install GRASS with (possibly as root)
    make install

Hello
I was just thinking that the above message, which appears at the end of
compilation, is very misleading, as it always appears whether or not there
are any errors in error.log. The first line says compilation was
successful, but the next line tells the user to check if there were any
errors. But they may assume that there are none because the source code
was 'compiled successfully', and not bother looking at the error.log file.
The first few times I compiled GRASS that was exactly what I did.

Perhaps the message 'Compiled successfully' should only appear if there
are no errors in the error.log file, otherwise its contents should be
output to the screen to warn the user?

It may help people to file more meaningful and useful bug reports.

Just an idea I had,

Paul