[GRASS5] g51 v.digit

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Thu Oct 10 03:01:31 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 08:04 pm, Glynn Clements wrote:
> It *is* just a hack. But you don't need to wait 5-10 years. Removing
> the R_get_location_with* stuff altogether shouldn't take more than
> 5-10 minutes.
>
> And removing it *is* the right solution for the monitor API. For
> v.digit, the right solution is to use a real UI toolkit. Trying to
> build something like v.digit on top of R_get_location_with* is a
> mistake.

Which portable UI toolkit is or should be used for GRASS?

> Of all of the possibilities which I've considered for a future display
> architecture, none of them deal with input in any way; it's meant to
> be a *display* architecture.

Do you mean different systems for display and v.digit? So that if I have
displayed map and discover that I need to edit it, I have to start
some other application with new display? That is not good from user point
of view. It must be one system built on UI toolkit and that is what we have
to wait for 5 years.

Radim