[GRASS5] g51 v.digit

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Oct 10 15:33:25 EDT 2002

Russell Nelson wrote:

>  > This problem already exists. The only real solution is an overall user
>  > interface solution (tcltkgrass doesn't really cut it), which is
>  > inherently a hard problem.
>
> What about stealing bunches of code?  The gimp already displays
> bitmaps, and has code to operate on bitmaps.  Seems to me that it
> already does most of what is expected, with one obvious exception:
> coordinate systems.  And the gimp already runs on Windows, so that
> with ordinary care to preserve the existing portability, no
> portability would be lost.

Well, the GTK+ FAQ says:

	1.10. Is there a Windows version of GTK+?

	There is an on going port of GTK+ to the Windows platform which is
	making impressive progress.

	See http://www.iki.fi/tml/gimp/win32 for more information.

However, that link is broken.

Note that we only need the UI stuff. GRASS itself, including XDRIVER,
already runs on Windows (without an X server).

Or we could just decide that you need an X server on any platform
(this is already the case for NVIZ and tcltkgrass), in which case any
Unix/X11 toolkit would suffice.