[GRASS5] End-of-compilation message

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Oct 11 04:41:01 EDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 08:04:40PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Glynn Clements wrote:
> > Paul Kelly wrote:
> >
> > > Perhaps the message 'Compiled successfully' should only appear if there
> > > are no errors in the error.log file, otherwise its contents should be
> > > output to the screen to warn the user?
> >
> > OK, I've removed the word "successfully", so it now says:
> >
> > 	GRASS GIS source code compiled.
> >
> > I'm open to suggestions as to how to handle errors. One option is to
> > just run:
> >
> > 	grep 'Compilation error' error.log
> >

> What about something like this (as an alternative for the last part of
> src/CMD/generic/POST_INSTALL.sh)?
>
> echo ""
> echo "GRASS GIS source code compiled."
> echo ""
> if grep 'Compilation error' error.log; then
>   echo ""
>   echo "* Any errors may be reported via the webpage:"
>   echo "    http://grass.itc.it/bugtracking/bugreport.html"

Paul,
thanks for ideas to improve the message (which was in fact confusing).
But we may be careful about inviting people to directly send out
bugs. Most errors are related to missing libraries on that particular
system.

I propose to change the message to:
   echo "* In case of errors please check following web page:"
   echo "    http://grass.itc.it/grass5/compilation.html"

This page is not yet written and should cover the common problems
(which we explain again and again, especially Glynn is spending much
 time on that!). At bottom of that new page should be the link
to the bug report form if above suggestions do not help.

>   echo "  Please include the actual compiler error messages for the above module(s).
>   echo ""
> fi
> echo "* Install GRASS with (possibly as root)"
> echo "    make install"
>
> This should give output as follows
> Case 1) Totally Successful
> ==============
>
> GRASS GIS source code compiled.
>
> * Install GRASS with (possibly as root)
>     make install
> ==============
>
> Case 2) Some Errors
> ==============
>
> GRASS GIS source code compiled.
>
> Compilation error in module: src/misc/m.in.ntf (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src.contrib/GMSL/g3d (ignored)
> Compilation error in module: src/sites/s.surf.krig (ignored)
>
> * Any errors may be reported via the webpage:
>     http://grass.itc.it/bugtracking/bugreport.html
>   Please include the actual compiler error messages for the above module(s).
>
> * Install GRASS with (possibly as root)
>     make install
> ==============

This looks nice (probably with above suggestions).

> I suppose it will work as long as grep only returns true when it finds
> matches (the behaviour on the system I am using). But the message about
> reporting errors is maybe generic enough that it won't confuse people if
> it appears when it shouldn't. If we are very confident about this the
> 'successfully' message could be put back in if the grep fails, just to
> give the user a greater sense of achievement perhaps.
>
> Paul

We may grep for 'src/libes' in the error.log which indicates severe
problem(s) while single-module-compile-failure(s) may be acceptable.
On the other hand, we recommend compiling only to the experienced
users (who are able to interpret the error.log contents).

So a page
http://grass.itc.it/grass5/compilation.html
may narrow the gap between interested newbies (potential future programmers)
and experienced users who are new to GRASS.

Markus