Migration 5.0 -> 5.1 - was Re: [GRASS5] current release branch

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Oct 11 08:23:35 EDT 2002

[I have separated below from the original branch thread]

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 12:19:32PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 07:50:16PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
> > One issue which should be settled first is to choose a common coding
> > convention. That way, we can populate the 5.1 tree with files which
> > have already been formatted, so that everyone doesn't end up
> > downloading the same files twice (reformatting tends to change every
> > line, so "cvs update" will retrieve the entire file).
>
> The file structure should come first and library normalisation second.
> This goes along with a proper makefile system.
> Coding convention is third.

Let us start to develop a "road-map" for the 5.0 to 5.1 migration.

Bernhard's proposal is (slightly modified):

1. select important modules (perhaps 5-10 per function class r.*, d.* etc.)

2. run code reformatting software (below is from Apache):
    indent -i4 -npsl -di0 -br -nce -d0 -cli0 -npcs -nfc1 <files>

3. add them reformatted to grass51/ in CVS, using new directory structure

4. apply new Makefile system

5. start library clean up, clone elimination etc. on these modules/libs

6. release

7. add more modules etc.

-----

Suggestion for (1.): could we modify "front_end" to generate statistics
how often which module was used? Then it will be pretty easy to identify
the most wanted modules without digging in .bash_history etc.

Markus