[GRASS5] GUI for GRASS

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Oct 16 15:19:51 EDT 2002

andy agena wrote:

> i did a quick look around the gcc page, and obj-C is supported
> (couldn't find which version it start with).

I'm aware that gcc supports it; however:

a) Most distributions relegate it to a separate package, and not many
people install the objective-C component.

b) I have no idea how reliable it is on minority platforms (i.e. other
than Linux and Mac). Even gcc's C++ support has tended to be flaky on
commercial Unices, which doesn't bode well for objective-C.

c) What's the state of Windows support?

> as for learning obj-C,
> there's been this claim on the osx developers' pages that if one knows
> C, one can learn obj-C in an afternoon...

Even if people can learn it, will they? Or will they turn away as soon
as they realise that it's in a language they don't currently
understand?

Also, it isn't just a matter of being able to write code. We need to
be able to handle bug reports (which means understanding the awkward
cases, not just typical usage). Can you call objective-C code from C?
What about binary compatibility? E.g. C++ is very "fragile" in this
area; note how many GDAL problems are C++ related. Will we have
similar problems with objective-C?