[GRASS5] g51 v.digit

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Mon Oct 21 07:43:11 EDT 2002

On Friday 11 October 2002 07:45 pm, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Regarding both of the above: coding only moves us forward if the end
> result is actually usable. There isn't much difference between writing
> code then discarding it and not writing it in the first place.
>
> Coding is a necessary condition, but not a sufficient one. We need
> code that is useful, not just any code.

Do you believe, that we can design it first without mistakes? I expect that
some code will be written and thrown away later. To learn what we should not
do is almost of the same value as to know what we should do.

> GRASS doesn't include a database engine, but that hasn't prevented the
> database modules from being written. Solution: use additional
> components (in the database case, PostgreSQL or ODBC).

*.pg and db.* modules are quite different. db.* modules are based on DBMI
library which is in fact such DB engine. What I don't want to do is
to write v.digit in style of *.pg. I am waiting for GUI equivalent
of DBMI.

> The problem is that yet-another-hack was added to the monitor API.
> R_get_location_with_* aren't suitable for anything beyond the most
> trivial of uses, and are out of place in what's basically an output
> API. IMHO, they should be removed, not expanded.

OK, we can consider it to be a hack which is planned to be replaced
by new GUI.

Radim