[GRASS5] Re: [bug #1382] (grass) r.mapcalc3 compilation error

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Oct 28 03:15:46 EST 2002

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 09:52:11PM +0200, Glynn Clements via RT wrote:

> Request Tracker wrote:
>
> > Subject: r.mapcalc3 compilation error

[...]
> It appears that you are trying to build from within the source
> directory; I have no idea whether that works.

Yes, that's right. I have modified the mk/* things for that (unsubmitted)
and it was working for several month.

> > I am using
> > CC                  = gcc
> > FC                  = g77
> > LEX                 = flex
> > YACC                = bison -y
> > PERL                = /usr/bin/perl
> > MAKE                = make
> >
> > It seems to be a problem with yacc/bison, which does not generate
> > `syntax_error' from the mapcalc.y file. Unfortunaltely I have no
> > idea how to solve this.
>
> What does the bison command look like?

I have to check that at home (where the computer is).

> Was the build performed from clean, or were there old files lying
> around? Note that:
>
> 1. For the "normal" build mechanism, you have to use
> "make maintainer-clean" to remove the files which are generated by
> lex/yacc; "make distclean" won't work (presumably, the idea is that
> source tarballs include the generated C files, so that users don't
> need lex/yacc).

Aha. I only deleted the *.o files.

> 2. For the new build mechanism, the "make clean" rule is bogus. It is
> designed for use with a separate build directory, so you don't need
> "make clean"; just "rm -rf" the entire build directory once you're
> finished with it (obviously, you don't do this if the build directory
> happens to be the source directory).

Yes, I only deleted the *.o files as I still don't understand
how to build into an extra directory :-)

More soon,

 Markus