[GRASS5] [bug #1300] (grass) Installation failure on HP/UX 10.20

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Fri Sep 13 05:36:03 EDT 2002

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1300

Subject: Installation failure on HP/UX 10.20

Platform: HP/UX
grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: 5.0.0

When installing grass, commands like
/bin/sh -c "cd (dir) ; tar cBf (files) | (cd (installdir) ; tar xBf - )
are used. But on the HP-provided tar, that gives:
tar: B: unknown option
As I also had gnu tar avaliable (installed as /usr/local/bin/tar), I could correct the problem by changing the PATH for the installation script:
su root -c 'PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH:/opt/bin ; gmake install'

I don't know if the intallation script checks which tar is avaliable, but as I have /usr/local/bin quite early in my PATH, whereas the root user mostly uses the OS-provided commands, it would not have helped

(otoh, HP/UX 10.20 is no longer supported by HP, I don't know if the issue persists on HP/UX 11)

Morten