[GRASS5] [bug #1326] (grass) Can't startup Grass5.0

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Thu Sep 26 11:27:02 EDT 2002

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1326

Subject: Can't startup Grass5.0

Platform: WindowsNT/2000/XP
grass obtained from: Mirror of Trento site
grass binary for platform: Downloaded precompiled Binaries

I have successfully installed GRASS 5.0 on my computer. I went through the online tutorial for the Windows installation using the Cygwin shell. But when I type 'grass5', which is supposed to start the program I get this message:

/usr/local/grass5/etc/lock: not found
Unable to properly access /home/itsadmin/.gislock5
Please notify system personel.

the file '/usr/local/grass5/etc/lock' exists in the folder where it should be. The .gislock5 I cannot find. Please someone help me with this problem and tell me how to resolve it. I have come so far in this installation that I don't want to give up now. Also, I installed the files on another computer and it did the same thing.

Jason W.