[GRASS5] 5.0.2 ellipsoid selection

Alessandro Frigeri geoalf at libero.it
Mon Apr 7 19:43:09 EDT 2003

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 08:00:19PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello there
>
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Alessandro Frigeri wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I updated today to the current CVS version.  I saw the changes in proj
> > stuff.  It seems that g.setproj no longer reads from $GISBASE/etc/ellipse.table and datum.table, is it true?
>
> It should; what error are you getting or what is going wrong?

adding:

mars1	"Planet Mars"	a=3397000.000 	b=3375000.000

to ellipse.table, and:

mars1	"Planet Mars"	mars1	dx=0	dy=0	dz=0

to datum.table, g.setproj does not list mars1 as available
datum/ellipsoid.

> > Since I'm working on non-terrestrial bodies' analysis, I have to deal
> > with 'custom' ellipsoids.
> >
> > At the moment I'm hardcoding src/libes/proj/ellipse.table and
> > datum.table
>
> As far as I can see those files aren't used for anything and I don't know
> why they're there. Where are you hardcoding them?

Sorry, my fault, I meant  pj_ellps.c and pj_datums.c... and, yes,
it seems also to me that ellipse.table and datum.table in src/proj are not used.
> > but I wonder if there's a more straight way to specify a particular ellipsoid
> > (specifying directly a and b or a|b and f and so on) so that also other users can do it without the need to recompile.
>
> You should just be able to add it to the ellipse.table, or directly in the
> PROJ_INFO file. If the most recent version doesn't work then probably in
> my changes I have overlooked something and if you can give some more
> details on how I can reproduce the problem I will see about fixing it as
> soon as possible.
>
> Paul

Anyway, I do not get any ellipsoid/datum error on GRASS startup, but
this is true also if I change PROJ_INFO's datum and ellipsoid with a
non-existent one (eg datum: foo ellps: bar).

Cheers

--
Alessandro Frigeri
echo '>ti.orebil at flaoeg<' | rev