[GRASS5] FreeGIS-CD

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Apr 14 10:05:14 EDT 2003

Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 03:14:33PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 02:17:12PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > > Related to the recent 5.0.2 release we need volunteers
> > > to provide binaries for
> > >
> > >  - SGI/Irix
> > >  - winGRASS
> > >       - X11 display driver
> > >       - generic display driver
> > >  - Mac OSX
> > >
> > > Some RPMs (Linux/x86 and PPC) are probably generated for
> > > the next FreeGIS release?
> >
> > The next FreeGIS-CD (v1.2.3) is in the test period
> > and will contain GRASS 5.0.1 to make sure we release stable packages
> > with basic testing.
>
> well, this were a pity as 5.0.1 only contains 2 changes. So you better
> include 5.0.0 ... :-( But why distributing partially oldish code?

I have already written to Bernhard a suggestion to distribute 5.0.2
as 5.0.0 and 5.0.1 has some serious deficiencies and 5.0.2 is simply
much better.
Often a small modification in the code can make a big difference for
everyday work
and that is the case for 5.0.2 (compared to 5.0.0 or 5.0.1)
So I would just like to ask whoever can test 5.0.2 please do it so that
we can make 5.0.2 the version of GRASS recommended for wide distribution
as a stable and reliable code.

Helena