[GRASS5] ticket 1175 - longer grassfile names

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Apr 22 18:01:47 EDT 2003

there is a bug report #1175 about a problem with longer grass filenames.
 I am not sure whether this has been addressed (I haven't found anything
related)
but I have observed some strange behavior of r.mapcalc related to this
recently:

Case 1
The command gives segmentation fault when it is trying to write into
history file (the resulting map is correct but the history file is
missing the expression)
The exactly same expression runs fine in interactive mode

GRASS> r.mapcalc
tdif98lidrtk.5m="(tlid98.5site-tlid98srtkdec02.5m)*mask.testrtk"
 100%
Segmentation fault

GRASS:> r.mapcalc
Enter expressions, "end" when done.
mapcalc> tdif98lidrtk.5m=(tlid98.5site-tlid98srtkdec02.5m)*mask.testrtk
mapcalc> end

 100%

Case 2
The expression with the same length runs OK or gives syntax error,
depending
on the length(?) of the name of the resulting reaster map

GRASS:~/lresults/lcoast/baldh > r.mapcalc
tdiflid98=(tlid98srtkdec02.5m-lid98srtkdec02.5m)*mask.testrtk2
 100%
GRASS:~/lresults/lcoast/baldh > r.mapcalc
tdif98lidrtk.5m=(tlid98.5site-tlid98srtkdec02.5m)*mask.testrtk
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

There were some other cases where r.mapcalc had problems and shortening
the file name fixed them

I am not sure that this should be considered a bug but it may be useful
to document this behavior in the manual page.

Helena