[GRASS5] Problem compiling Grass51

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Apr 29 10:53:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 03:34:57PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello Bob
> I found a mistake in the Makefile where $(PROJ_INC) should have been
> $(PROJINC) but that isn't your problem. If $(GPROJDEP) is removed from the
> dependency list it is all right. Seems the problem is related to an
> earlier e-mail this morning
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2003-April/005350.html
> I don't think $(GPROJDEP) should be defined as GPROJDEP    =  $(GPROJLIB)
> in grass51/include/Make/Grass.make.in since
> GPROJLIB    = $(ARCH_LIBDIR)/$(LIB_PREFIX)$(GPROJ_LIBNAME).$(LIB_SUFFIX) $(PROJLIB)
> So when there is anything in $(PROJLIB) this won't work as a dependency rule
> in the Makefile.
> But this is also done for $(GISDEP) where
> GISLIB      = $(ARCH_LIBDIR)/$(LIB_PREFIX)$(GIS_LIBNAME).$(LIB_SUFFIX) \
> $(SOCKLIB) $(INTLLIB)
> so if $(SOCKLIB) or $(INTLLIB) where defined as anything, presumably this
> wouldn't work either.

right now (before reading this mail) I have submitted the dependencies for
all LIBs. The next changes I would leave to an expert - as I don't know too
much about Makefiles. On my Linux boxes it works well, but I have neither
access to SGI nor Solaris to try there.

> I fixed it by sort of swapping round the definitions of $(GPROJLIB) and
> $(GPROJDEP); probably this file needs to be re-arranged:
> GPROJDEP    = $(ARCH_LIBDIR)/$(LIB_PREFIX)$(GPROJ_LIBNAME).$(LIB_SUFFIX)
> first and then
> GPROJLIB    = $(GPROJDEP) $(PROJLIB)
> further down in the file. grass/src/CMD/generic/make.mid gives a clue as
> to how this should be done properly.
>
> BTW I still can't compile d.where as there is a vsnprintf() somewhere in
> libgrass_gis.a according to the error message.

Here it is:
./lib/gis/debug.c

> I don't use GRASS 5.1 as it
> is full of Linux-isms etc. and I can never get it to compile properly on the
> Irix system I use most of them (GRASS 5.0 was like this also a year or two
> ago but it is much tidier now).

Would you mind to post the error messages? Only then we could avoid
problems we are not aware of.

Markus