[GRASS5] v.out.ascii truncation

Greg Sepesi sepesi at eduneer.com
Mon Aug 11 12:27:34 EDT 2003

Thanks Hamish.  That output looks good.

As you suggested I ran g.region and d.what.sites.

- - -

GRASS:~ > g.region -p
projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
zone:       0
datum:      ** unknown (default: WGS84) **
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      37:30:36N
south:      37:22:12N
west:       79:15W
east:       79:07:12W
nsres:      0:00:36
ewres:      0:00:36
rows:       14
cols:       13

GRASS:~ > d.what.sites
[...]
Click mouse button on desired location

79:13:59.52W(E) 37:26:29.04N(N)
road.test.t in PERMANENT  79:13:59.304W|37:26:29.4288N 62735861

- - -

I hadn't paid much attention to g.region's nsres and ewres or rows and
cols because I thought those affected only raster operations, and I've
been using just vector operations.  And it appears that v.out.ascii
doesn't truncate to g.region's nsres and ewres of 0:00:36 (0.01
degrees).

Concerning d.what.sites, I hadn't used this operation before but its
reporting of latitude with more fractional digits than longitude is
consistent with v.out.ascii.

Looking at the input data, U.S. Census Bureau TIGER data has six
fractional digits for both latitude and longitude.  Those six fractonal
digits for latitude and longitude are retained in the m.in.stf1.tape
intermediate input step.  However I'm not sure what happens in and after
v.in.tig.basic ... I have lots to learn about GRASS.

Greg