[GRASS5] Roadmap: Numbering

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Aug 18 11:22:49 EDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 04:20:30PM +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 07:28:43PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
>

> > According to this suggestion I have updated the roadmap:
> > http://grass.itc.it/roadmap.html
>
> As a mostly-user of grass, I get confused by this. Where was 5.2? Why no
> 5.1 if there is a 5.3? What about 5.7 if there is a 5.8?
>
> The other software I am familiar with that has a similar problem with
> versioning is samba. They had a stable release branch, 2.0.x, and were
> doing heavy development in HEAD, which was supposed to be 2.1. Then,
> they realised they would need a new stable branch with selected features
> from HEAD (win2k support when a domain controller). So, they renumbered
> HEAD to 3.0, but the new stable release branch became 2.2.x.
>
> Grass is in a similar position. I would suggest, to keep people from
> wondering about seemingly random version numbers, to:
>
> - -keep 5.0.x branch in bugfix mode
> - -development of current grass50 cvs becomes 5.1, if pre-release
> snapshots are to be made, eventually becoming 5.2.x

To me this looks more confusing: replacing an existing 5.1 with
another 5.1 is not easy to understand. That's why I suggested to
skip number 5.1 (say, rename the current 5.1 to 5.7) and also
skip number 5.2 (as an unstable version following the non-existing
5.1 is 5.3 which then leads to 5.4).

> - -current grass51 becomes 5.3 (if pre-releases are made), and eventually
> becomes either 5.4 or 6.0, depending on circumstances.
>
> There's nothing wrong with going from 5.2 to 6.0, but I find
> 5.0->5.4->5.8->6.0 a bit weird.

Just to clarify: In fact it should be:
- 5.0->5.4 | then stop development on this branch
and
- 5.7->5.8->6.0
which are two separate things.

> Of course, I am just a user ...

Your comments are most welcome. Again, I don't insist on numbers,
if more people agree on *replacing* 5.1, we can do it of course.
It's not my personal decision :-)

Markus